How to solve Sony Dvd RW drive 'Not reading DVD’s/CD’s' problem


When you insert a dvd (which was burnt and not an original dvd) into a sony DVD writer it gives the error “Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows”. I experienced the same error after an year of usage of the dvd drive. There was no problem with burning the dvds, but the burnt ones were not being read from the same dvd drive. I tried all troubleshooting techniques to solve this but ended up doing nothing. When I had just decided to buy a brand new DVD drive, one of my friend sends me the link to his blog. He's written an article on how to solve this problem. I actually neglected it the moment I saw it. Later in the day, I implemented it and Yippeee!!!

So here is the Step by Step Solution for errors in Sony dvd drive - "Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows”. I had bought this dvd thinking it was from SONY but it actually is from 'Sony-Neo optiarc'. 
1. Download NECWinFlash.exe for WIN32 GUI from    
    http://binflash.cdfreaks.com/#download   


 2. Download the firmware for Sony DVD Writer model from 
     http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/
     Search for your Drive Firmware. Your drive model can be found out from Nero or by          ‘Right Click properties-Drivers of you DVD drive’.    
3. My DVD writer was Sony DVD-RW AW-G170a and my drivers was found on 
    http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7170A/                              
    The extension of the driver will be “.bin”.
4. Restart your comp in SAFE MODE (Otherwise you will get checksum error).
5. Now run NECWinFlash.exe.
6. There click on FLASH.
7. Browse to where you saved your driver file (extension is .bin).
8. Flash your drive and enjoy a complete new firmware :) 
Thanks to Santosh H V. As far as I know he was the one who tried this first among our friends. Thanks to Pramod Natraj for making it into an article in his blog.

Source: Pramod Natraj

Labels: