• Cooking oil- 3-4tsp
• Mustard seeds-1 tsp
• Jeera- 1 tsp
• Groundnut seeds
• Turmeric-1 tsp
• Green Chilly- chopped
• Curry leaves
• Coriander leaves
• Rice preferably Basmathi- 1.5 cup
• Onion -3
• Green Brinjal – 2
• Garam Masala-2 tsp
• Chilly Powder- 1 tsp
• Take the 3 onions and cut them in long pieces as shown in the pic.
• Take the brinjal and cut it into small pieces and wash them.
• Chop the green chillies, also the coriander leaves
• Now place the cooker on the stove. (Don’t forget to light it, I did!)
• Add 3-4 tsp of cooking oil in the cooker and wait for it to get heated
• Now add Mustard seeds when the ‘Chatpat’ sound starts, add Jeera, Groundnut seeds, Turmeric, Green Chilly. Take care as the chillies might pop out of the cooker along with the hot oil.
• Now add the chopped onion and fry until its golden brown.
• Now add the small pieces of brinjal, continue frying for few minutes.
• Add 2 glasses of water . Let it start boiling.
• Now add the RIGHT quantity of Salt, Garam Masala and Chilly Powder.
• Stir the mixture.
• When the mixture is boiling, add the 1.5 cup of cleaned and washed rice into the cooker, Add the RIGHT quantity of water and stir well.
• Close the lid of the cooker when the contents begin to boil.
• Wait for three whistles. Open the cooker and mix the contents well.
• Brown onion Brinjal Biriyani (BOBB) is ready which serves 4-5 people.
• Instead of Onion and Brinjal, You can use any combination of vegetables; make sure Onion is a must for the taste.
• For the Masala, you can make your own masala, or put a combination of any masala powder that’s there at home!
• Options for experimenting is wide open.
*The entire recipe is my own idea. But for sure tried and tested. Any feed back/suggestions/royalty is always welcome.